- If you have a Delta credit card, you and up to eight travel companions receive checked baggage free of charge. All you have to do is book your flight and provide your Delta frequent flyer number in the reservation.
- The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express card offers 60,000 Delta SkyMiles after spending $ 2,000 in the first three months, plus another 10,000 bonus miles after your first account anniversary.
- If you open that Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express card Spending $ 3,000 in the first three months will earn you 80,000 miles and an additional 20,000 miles after your first account anniversary.
- The premium card that Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express cardoffers 80,000 miles and 20,000 Medallion qualifying miles after spending $ 5,000 in the first three months, plus another 20,000 miles after your first anniversary as a card member.
- These welcome bonuses are only available until April 1, 2020.
- Check out the list of the best airline credit cards from Business Insider »
One of the advantages of Delta's three main credit cards – the Delta SkyMiles Gold. Delta SkyMiles Platinum, and Delta SkyMiles Reserve Cards – is a free checked bag for the cardholder and up to eight travel companions with the same reservation.
For travelers who tend to check bags, the savings can add up quickly. Delta charges $ 30 each way for a checked bag on a domestic flight. For a family of four spending a long vacation, a credit card can save $ 240 to $ 30 per bag. Each way would mean $ 240 for the whole family.
Remember that we focus on the rewards and benefits that make these credit cards great options, and not on things like interest rates and late fees that far outweigh the value of points or miles. It is important to exercise financial discipline when using credit cards by paying your balance in full and on time every month and spending only what you can afford to pay back.
How to get a free piece of luggage with Delta credit cards
If you apply for a Delta Amex card, you will be asked to enter your Delta SkyMiles number. From this point on, the benefits are linked to your SkyMiles account as long as the card is open.
Just make sure you are logged into your Delta account when booking tickets. If you are booking through a third party portal like Expedia, simply enter your delta number during the booking process. If you add a piece of luggage when you check in for your flight, you will be charged $ 0.00. This also applies to all other people who are on the same reservation with you.
The key ensures that you are on the same reservation. If you book separately, your travel companions will only be able to access checked baggage free of charge if they have their own Delta credit card (or have Elite Medallion status).
Delta SkyMiles credit cards
If you are considering getting a Delta credit card, now is the perfect time to do so. Three of the cards offer a limited-time welcome bonus that allows you to earn up to 100,000 bonus miles – but only until April 1st.
The Delta SkyMiles gold card offers 60,000 Delta SkyMiles after spending $ 2,000 in the first three months. You will earn an additional 10,000 miles after your first anniversary as a cardholder.
The Platinum Version offers 80,000 miles after you spend $ 3,000 in the first three months, plus another 20,000 miles after your first anniversary as a cardholder.
Delta Premium card that Delta SkyMiles Reserveoffers 80,000 miles and 20,000 Medallion qualifying miles after spending $ 5,000 in three months. You will earn an additional 20,000 miles after your first anniversary as a cardholder.
Delta and Amex have recently introduced some significant changes to their range of cards, including additional bonus categories for earning miles and new benefits. The annual fees for most cards have also increased.
Don't forget that these welcome bonuses are only available until April 1st. So don't wait.